Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Editing Pictures with MCP Actions

One of the ways in which I've been able to improve in my photography over the past year is by investing in good software.  Although I love the idea of being able to take perfect pictures without needing to edit them, it's really not realistic for me right now.  Maybe someday - when I have the perfect camera, perfect studio setup, etc., but at this stage in the game, it's just not going to happen!  As long as the image is exposed correctly, and in focus where I want it to be, then I'm good to go - post processing can certainly handle many other things.

Case in point - this photo from a recent session is just sorta blah.  It had just started to rain, so I was taking the picture very quickly without checking my settings.  The image is flat, dark, and just not that pleasing to look at.  The positive, though, is that it's relatively sharp - meaning it has good focus on her eyes.  It's not perfect, if you look too closely you'll see a bit of grain, but it's good enough considering the conditions!

So here's the original picture - I take all my pictures in RAW, so this does have some slight editing using the photoshop RAW editor, but nothing major.


Once I opened this photo up in Photoshop, I was able to edit it using the MCP Actions Fusion set.  I am completely smitten with this action set.  At first I was worried about spending money on actions, wondering if I should just learn how to do this kind of thing on my own, but after purchasing, I was absolutely convinced.  It would take me ages to learn how to do the things the actions do, and I'm sure I wouldn't do it nearly as well.  Here's the final product:


And for easy comparison:


I love how easy this was to complete - it certainly took some playing around with the actions, but it really makes the image pop.  If you have any hesitation about purchasing MCP Actions, I will say that I have not regretted it for a second.  It was one of the best things I could have done for my photography at this stage.

(As a side note, I do not have any affiliations with MCP Actions, I simply love her products that much!)

erin

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails