Saturday, October 23, 2010

New Laptop Bag

I got my laptop at the beginning of the summer... and have been carrying it around all by itself without any protection since then!  Obviously not the best idea.

So when my aunt, two cousins, and I decided to take a tote bag sewing class locally, I thought it would be the perfect chance to make myself a new laptop bag!  It turned out better than I had hoped for.

I used a random assortment of fabrics I already had - some Heather Bailey, some Erin McMorris, and some Amy Butler.  It took a total of 36 charm squares (more if you add pockets), which I cut myself by simply cutting six 5-inch squares from each of 7 fabrics (I had a few left over, which I could have used for pockets but chose not to).

Each side of the bag is 4 blocks wide and 3 blocks tall.  I used 1/4" seams, and once they were pieced together, I used fusible fleece on the backside.  I then did some free motion quilting on each side.

To make the handles, I pieced 10 squares together, backed with fusible fleece, then folded the long raw edges into the middle, and folded the entire piece in half.  I sewed 1/4" from each side, and a line down the middle.  Then I just chopped the long strip right in half to make two handles.  These handles will definitely be easy on my shoulders!

For the interior I used some super soft Minky fabric.  I used fusible lightweight interfacing to give it some structure and reduce the stretch - it sews much better that way!

I also made a little flap to keep my laptop secure inside by using two charm squares, one lined with fusible fleece.  I attached the snap, then did some free motion quilting on top.

I then put the bag together, making sure to install the other half of my snap, and box the corners to give it some depth.  I used a box stitch over the strap handles to make sure they could hold the weight of my laptop.  And voila!  A lovely new laptop bag that took only a few hours.


erin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great Erin! you did an awesome job.

Gloria said...

Pretty bag and your instructions make it sound easy enough for nonexpert sewers. Thanks!

Colleen said...

Beautiful!

I want one. Well I have a laptop case. And I still want one

jamfiescreations1 said...

What a great idea. I bag is gorgeous.

Bonhomie said...

I love it! Fabulous job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails